Saturday, May 7, 2016

Copperheaded Water Moccasin

Artist's rendition of a Copperheaded Water Moccasin
Every time we'd see a snake when I was fishing with my dad, he'd tell me it was a Copperheaded Water Moccasin. I really don't know if there is such a thing, but I do know my dad wouldn't let me join the Boy Scouts because he once got in an argument with a Scout Master about whether there were any Copperheads native to Kentucky, where I was born.

Of course, he played it off saying that I wouldn't want to be a Scout, because all they did was make coin purses and earn Merit Badges, but I knew the real story. He was just pissed about that stubborn Scout Master.

Doug Fry and his Border Collie, Emmie, found some Copperheads on a walk just outside the marina at Midlakes. Doug has 1968 Bristol sailboat that he's rehabing and plans on taking it down to the Florida Keys later this season.

We had to double check and see whether Copperheads really were native to New York State, and guess what? They are! Sure, they mostly tend to work out of Albany, but at least we won't have to argue with any Scout Masters.

So, anyway, watch out for snakes!